How long will it take to obtain a Commercial Licence?

To obtain a Commercial Licence, you must first complete your Private Pilot Licence.

This may take up to 16 weeks (including a 3 week ground course) dependent on the weather and your ability. Once you complete this licence, you can then work towards completing your Commercial Licence. This may take up to 46 weeks (including a 12 week ground course) dependent on the weather and your ability. In total it should take you approximately 62 weeks to complete.

How old can I be to start flying?

Students must be 16 years old to fly solo and 17 years old to obtain a Private Pilot Licence. We recommend that students be no younger than 14 years old before they start their flight training with an instructor once a month or during school holidays until old enough to complete the remainder of the licencing full time.

How much will it cost?

Cost is highly dependent on the course of training selected but all of our courses are competitively priced to meet international industry standards. Please contact our enrolments team to find out the cost structure for your particular course enquiry.

How do I get some information about the courses?

Send us an email through our Contact Us page to receive a New Zealand or International Information Pack.

Are there any part time courses?

Ardmore Flying School is currently running Private Pilot Licence courses part time.

These courses run over a 10 week period every Saturday. Contact the enrolments team to find out when the next course is running.

I wear glasses, will this be a problem?

You will have to meet minimum medical standards, but in most cases this will not be a problem. Many airline pilots wear glasses.

You can wear glasses or contact lenses so long as your vision is corrected to 20/30 or better; and you must be able to see red and green. To obtain a NZCAA Class 1 or 2 medical students must visit an approved aviation medical examiner. They are listed on the CAA website http://www.caa.govt.nz/Script/AMA_DME.asp?Lower=0100&Upper=3000

For any health issues, we recommend you consult an Aviation Medical Examiner.

Once I have my licence how often do I have to fly to keep it current?

To keep your licence active, pilots must perform three take offs/landings every 90 days. Then they will need to undergo a Biennial Flight Review every two years on their highest licence to renew it.

Does your school do licence renewals?

Contact Ardmore Flying School and talk to an experienced instructor who will step you through your licence renewal and how to best prepare for your Biennial Flight Review.

Is the New Zealand CPL Licence recognised overseas?

The New Zealand CPL is well recognised worldwide as pilots from New Zealand are in popular demand by many airlines.

The licence meets the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) standards. In many cases a licence conversion will simply require passing the local flight rules examination, completing a flight test and obtaining a local medical for the type of licence you hold.

Does your school do licence conversions for overseas licences?

Yes we do. Licencing in different countries have different requirements for conversion to a NZ CAA licence. Check out http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/Eng_Lang_Prof.htm for the requirements. If you need a hand understanding how to go about the conversion, head to the contact us page and send us your query and we’ll step you through it.