How old must I be to start flying?

CAA regulations require that a student must be 16 years old to fly solo and 17 years old to obtain a Private Pilot Licence. For professional courses at Ardmore Flying School, you must be 18 years old at course commencement.

How much will it cost?

Cost is highly dependent on the course of training selected but all of our courses are competitively priced to meet international industry standards. Please contact our enrolments team to find out the cost structure for your particular course enquiry.

How do I get information about the courses?

Send us an email through our Contact Us page to receive a New Zealand or International Information Pack.

Are there any part time theory courses?

Ardmore Flying School does not currently run Private Pilot Licence (PPL) courses part time, however contact our enrolments team for part-time self-study options.

I wear glasses, will this be a problem?

You will have to meet minimum medical standards, but in most cases this will not be a problem. Many airline pilots wear glasses.

You can wear glasses or contact lenses so long as your vision is corrected to 20/30 or better; and you must be able to see red and green.

To obtain a NZCAA Class 1 or 2 medical students must visit an approved aviation medical examiner.

They are listed on the CAA website.

For any health issues, we recommend you consult an Aviation Medical Examiner.

Once I have my licence how often do I have to fly to keep it current?

To keep your licence active, pilots must perform three take offs/landings every 90 days. Then they will need to undergo a Biennial Flight Review every two years on their highest licence to renew it.

Does your school do licence renewals?

Contact us to talk with an experienced instructor who will walk you through your licence renewal and how to best prepare for your Biennial Flight Review.

Is the New Zealand CPL Licence recognised overseas?

The New Zealand CPL is well recognised worldwide as pilots from New Zealand are in popular demand by many airlines.

The licence meets the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) standards. In many cases a licence conversion will simply require passing the local flight rules examination, completing a flight test and obtaining a local medical for the type of licence you hold.

Does your school do licence conversions for overseas licences?

Yes we do. Licencing in different countries has different requirements for conversion to a New Zealand CAA licence. Check out for the requirements. If you need a hand understanding the conversion process, contact us and we’ll walk you through it.